Getting to the Reserve
The Reserve lies approximately 10 km (6.5 miles) north of Ripon and 1.5 km (1 miles) north-east of West Tanfield. Car park postcode DL8 2QZ.
- From the A1 exit for Ripon (from south) or Bedale (from North).
- From Ripon: Take A6108 to West Tanfield (5.5 miles), turn right at mini-roundabout (signposted Wath) and left at next mini-roundabout (0.5 mile) – Reserve car park half a mile on left.
- From Bedale: from Market Place take B6268 for 4.8 miles, turn left (east) onto B6267, after 2.9 miles turn left onto Moor Lane (signposted to West Tanfield and Lightwater Valley) – car park on right after three-quarters of a mile.
- From Northallerton/Thirsk: from the A167/A61 roundabout, take the A61 – just over the River Swale turn right towards Masham on the B6267, after 5.5 miles turn left on to Moor Lane (see Bedale above).
- From Masham: take A6108 to mini-roundabout in West Tanfield (3.8 miles), go straight over towards Wath and left at next mini-roundabout (0.5 mile) – Reserve car park half a mile on left.
Services via Ripon (11 km) and Masham (6 km) are irregular, stopping mainly at West Tanfield (1 km from the Reserve), with very limited service to Nosterfield village; on Routes 127 and 159
The nearest main line station is Northallerton (25 km). The Wensleydale Railway stops at Bedale (14 km) and Leeming Bar (18 km).
Pubs: The Freemason’s Arms in Nosterfield, The Bull Inn (overlooking the River Ure) and Bruce Arms in West Tanfield (contact them for opening times and facilities) - are all about 1 km from the Reserve car park.
Accommodation: The Bull Inn in West Tanfield offers bed and breakfast.
More tourist information is available from the Visit Masham website.